The figure is a significant increase from the 64 injured service members previously reported by the Pentagon. President Donald Trump initially said no Americans were injured in the raid. The attack on 8 January came amid tensions over the US killing of an Iranian general.
Nearly 70% of the injured service members have returned to their duties, the Pentagon added in its statement.
What is the future of US troops in Iraq?
Huge rally as Iraqis demand US troops pull out
Mr Trump originally cited the supposed lack of injuries in his decision not to strike back against Iran. The rising number of reported cases results from the mild form of injury which means symptoms take time to manifest, the Pentagon said in a news conference in January.
“They landed in a way that didn’t hit anybody,” Mr Trump told Fox Business Network on Monday.”And so when they came in and told me that nobody was killed, I was impressed by that and, you know, I stopped something that would have been very devastating for them,” he said, without specifying what had been “stopped”.
But Senator Joni Ernst, a Republican from Iowa, called for more answers.
“It’s vital we have a plan to treat these injured service members. “I’ve called on the Pentagon to ensure the safety and care of our deployed forces who may be exposed to blast injuries in Iraq,” she tweeted.